Monday, July 14, 2008

Black Book Portraits


Mike Longo over at Black Book Illustration asked me to draw portraits of the entire staff for the masthead of the Black Book 2008. I worked with designer John Dill of Pickled House, who did a fabulous Job designing the book and the interior sections.

The original inking were done right in my sketchbooks, one of them is small 6 x 8, the larger sketchbook is 11 x 14. Some portraits were draw with brush markers, others with pen and ink.




In addition to illustrating the masthead spread, Mike Longo asked me to design an 18 x 24 inch point-of-sale poster, using the 12 portraits used in the book, plus an additional 4 staffers. That's 16 matching portraits for this project. Nice.

Each Black Book staff member needed to have a "code name" to go with their portrait, and I got to make them up. Giving people nicknames is one of my favorite things to do. So, it was pretty neat be use that ummm "gift" in my work.




Joe Resudek: Cobra: Even though he looks 16 years old , he's the CEO and runs the show.












Maggie Lipson: Viper: Maggie is the VP of Black Book.










Mike Longo: The Closer. The Art Director on this project and an all around nice guy. When not stepping in as the AD for special projects, he is charge of marketing.








Joe Paul: The Muscle: Joe is the designer over at Black Book. They never let him out of the cage because he designs everything over there, but this is what he looks like.









Linden Hass: Ruby: Linden worked production on this project; she is also the photo editor at Loft Life Magazine. Busy girl!







You can see all 16 portraits on my website or in my illoz portfolio: http://www.illoz.com/graham.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails